Sunday, October 27, 2013

Thoughts of Merlin will never be the same. Thanks Geoffrey of Monmouth

 So reading Geoffrey of Monmouth completely shattered my image of Merlin. Before reading this, I thought of Merlin as a combination of Gandalf, Dumbledore, and Santa Claus. He was the ultimate magical being with a heart of gold. In addition, he was a part of my favorite story as a kid, which was the legend of King Arthur. *that earned him extra brownie points*
However, reading that after the war he completely broke down to a puddle of woe definitely put a damper on his “cool” factor. Although it is understandable that he would be affected by war and the death of his dear friends, but it was war, I would think that casualties were to be expected. Also the fact that his sister and her husband were able to chain him up in the castle, as I was reading all I could think about was why doesn’t Merlin just poof out of the castle. This was because I was still holding on to the belief that Merlin was magical, even though in this story he really wasn’t.
He was just a kooky older brother of the Queen, who liked the woods way too much and did not respect his wife. They referred to him as a prophet and the example they used was the fact that he told King Rhydderch that his wife was cheating on him. But, I think he just saw it, she was under a tree, not really hiding, he could have just walked by, or maybe the Ents told him. J



I guess the only thing that didn’t bother me or warp my image of Merlin was his appreciation for the woods. I think most of the stories I read about Merlin growing up involved finding him in the woods, or forest. I mean legend has it he sleeps in a cave until the world needs him. You don’t find many caves in the city. 

blog 1 of 5

2 comments:

  1. Something of a personal story, but I think it's relevant.

    I once had a very good friend in California, and I flew out there one summer to spend some time with her. On the way from LAX to her home town, there were approximately twelve trees I saw in nearly three hours.

    It was a haunting, traumatic experience. I've always felt this sense of wonder and mystery in forested areas; even if where I am is free of trees, seeing them off in the distance was always a comfort, because I knew that there was something out there still unknown. It was a big metaphorical thing for me. I felt like I'd reached an end of some sort, not being able to see any trees, and I didn't like it.

    So having Merlin, a prophet, being big into being in a forest? There are answers out there, even in the unknown. It made me like him even more, even if I thought he might have been a little too traumatized by losing his friends. (His wife should have just like, hugged him! Cuddles are good, mkay?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This portrayal of Merlin bothered me too. I always pictured him as this funny crazy old man who could do some pretty cool magic, burin this one I didn't like him. In Geoffery of Mammouth, he's bitter and angry, and also arrogant and full of self pity. I believe he loves his wife, but describing her as cow shows him as a nasty person. Personally, if I was everyone else, I would be fine with him moving to the woods.

    ReplyDelete