Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Greatness of Gandolf

 
           I grew up with Gandalf. I grew up watching the old animated Rankin and Bass Hobbit movie, the Rankin and Bass The Return of the King (they did not do any of the others, and it was really confusing because they just kind of dumped you in with Sam trying to rescue Frodo from imprisonment deep in Mordor without much context). I read The Hobbit for the first time in Middle-School and enjoyed every moment of it. I have seen all of the movies so far and I have played many of the video games.
I have no idea how Pippin became the second most powerful character I got in "The Return of the King" game, but he killed everything.

           While I am not incredibly knowledgeable in Middle-Earth lore, I really do enjoy the stories. They have also played a major role in shaping how I view fantasy and wizards. Maybe this sets me apart, but when I hear wizard I don't think of Merlin, or Dumbledore, or Harry Potter. I picture this guy.

"Balrog! You made me loose my hat. I will sword you to death!!!!" 

          Gandalf is the quintessential good wizard for me. He is incredibly intelligent, learned, wise, magical, and willing to use his talents to advise others and to aid the greater good. Also the beard.

          Furthermore, despite all of his achievements Gandalf still goes out into the world and with his boots on the ground to resolve problems. He helped guild the Fellowship in person, he fought the Balrog, and he killed what scientists have officially declared to be "a metric-hoard" of goblins/orcs. Gandalf was with the fight almost the whole time. When Gandalf did disappear from the story it was usually because he was going out to study so everyone could know what was going on, he was finding reinforcements, or he was confronting darkness somewhere else. And, if he was not doing any of those things then he was coming back to life!

Death, the destroyer of worlds, is but a minor setback for this man.
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121003055425/lotr/images/4/4f/Gandalf_the_White_returns.png

          So that is really all I have to say. I think Gandalf is awesome, and I view Gandalf as the poster-wizard for magic. Oh, and in case anyone is wondering who the most powerful character in The Return of the King game was, it was Gandalf... because of course it was!

Gandalf: "I don't even use magic half of the time. It's just more sporting that way."

4 comments:

  1. I agree with your post. Especially the part where you said that Gandalf actually participated in the events of the story, fighting the Balrog, and being in the middle of the orc/goblin battle. I liked how Gandalf got stuff done! With other wizards we have read about they mainly stayed on the side line giving advice as needed. Gandalf on the other hand said "Balrog? Back off I got this"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree that Gandalf is the image I have in my mind when I think of "wizard" now. Sorry, Dumbledore, I just don't see you in the heat of the battle so much as showing up near the end when things look impossible to save the day (which I admit Gandalf does as well, but at least Gandalf doesn't die before the end of the story (RIP Dumbledore, I'm sure you are missed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY!!! Someone who talk about the greatness of Gandalf. Gandalf is the epitome of what wizards are. He is knowledgeable, wise, caring, and overall a freaking badass! He does everything he can to help Frodo and Sam make their way to destroy the ring. He also does everything he can to prevent the destruction by Saruman and his armies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gandalf is amazing. Your first image actually captured my favorite scene within all three movies. Perfection!

    ReplyDelete