Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Dumbledore or Gandalf Ultimate showdown?

Hello everyone, so the other night at dinner I am sitting in the dining hall discussing this class with my friends. We were totally nerding out and began to debate the ultimate topic:
Who would win in a fight Gandalf or Dumbledore?
We were completely divided down the middle between the two wizards. Does anyone wish to express their side? Our main arguments were (*based solely on the movies*) :


                Pro Dumbledore
                1. He is knowledgeable on most things magic, whereas Gandalf had to go and do research.
                2. He had the power to do the death spell the ultimate curse.
                3. Dumbledore was in possession of the elder wand the most powerful of the wands.
                4. Dumbledore was able to touch his evil ring (the horcrux) granted it was slowly killing him…..Gandalf could not touch the ring.


                Pro Gandalf
1.       He was always in the midst of battle. He fought orcs, and goblins.
2.       (as my brother likes to quote) He fell through fire and water and fought the Balrog on the highest peak of the lowest dungeon and won.
3.       What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. On the other hand, in Gandalf’s case, what kills you makes you stronger and you come back with a mission and are more powerful than ever.
Personally I am for Dumbledore, because I am not convinced that if Gandalf got hit with that forbidden curse he would come back again….Any opinions?
…..or should we just toss them both aside and crown the winner doe-y eyed Merlin?



Blog 4 of 5

5 comments:

  1. Merlin, hands down.
    Now, for my real answer: I agree with you that Dumbledore would win. I mean, can you really beat the death spell? Gandalf is tough and all, but I'm not sure he is tough enough for Dumbledore's powers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dumbledore over Gandalf, but I would say Merlin is the best of the three. I think Merlin out powers both of them pretty handily. Merlin (in some versions) can SEE THE FUTURE, if that is not one of the best powers ever then I dont know what is, with the exception of super speed which is the most overpowered super power ever, Flash FTW.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dumbledore over Gandalf? Bologna.

    Gandalf is LITERALLY a demigod.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizard_%28Middle-earth%29

    Dumbledore is just a supremely lucky mutant who aspired to greatness and succeeded.

    http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/stories/harry-potter-wizarding-genetics-decoded

    I get that we're dealing with magic here, and the clear victor is always Goku, but in terms of "where their power comes from", my vote has to be Gandalf every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally disagree. Dumbledore is not equivalent nor come closes to triumph Gandalf. Dumbledore seems like he's just a figure that aids to give what one calls "moral support." He does not help stop things as big as let's say stop armies of Orcs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to go with Gandalf too. He seems to be much more involved in the action of the battles than Dumbledore does. Dumbledore is good for providing guidance for harry at a young age, but Gandalf goes on a Journey himself.

    ReplyDelete