Friday, December 13, 2013

Lord of The Rings...Final thought...

As I began to analyze Harry Potter a little more, I too began to wonder as to why Lord Of The Rings didn't catch on as much. In my personal belief, I absolutely love Lord Of The Rings. I love reading the books and watching the movies and seeing how intense they got. They certainly made the movies so well and remember first reading them and getting so hyped to read them! I even remember how Legolas was and still certainly is my favorite character. Legolas is just so badass and makes any situation seem that much more hardcore and diehard. However, when I was analyzing I did of course forget to realize the obvious, Lord Of The Rings books and movies were not made necessarily with the intention of having readers and viewers as young as the Harry Potter stories. But believe it or not, I found that Lord Of The Rings and Harry Potter share a lot of the same qualities.....in the sense that they both have "underdogs" or small characters that end up doing great things and taking on big, they are written in a fictional work that is easy to tap into and understand, and there is huge and apparent theme of good versus evil- with good always triumphing in the end. Yay or nay, thoughts on this one guys?

7 comments:

  1. I agree. Legolas is at least 37 different shades of awesome! For further evidence (as though any more was needed) I invite you to check out this link, because for some reason, the comments section will not let me post images.

    http://www.thefunnyblog.org/img/2012/funny-lotr-legolas-funny-face-challenge-accepted-aragorn-rawr.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legolas totally awesome, he took down an oliphant need I say more. The only reason why I think that Harry Potter had caught on more was because the readers could grow with the books. Each book was another year at Hogwarts and the children reading the books could age with the characters. Whereas isn't frodo alot older in the books then in the movies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Legolas reigns supreme, the friendships he makes with Gimli and his long standing devotion to Aragorn show the compassion he also possesses. Which isn't something the elves usually do. Also for anyone who doesn't know, Legolas stays in Middle Earth while the rest of the elves go across the sea to their original home. Legolas finally leaves after the death of Aragorn.. AND WHEN HE LEAVES GIMLI COMES WITH HIM MAKING HIM THE FIRST DWARF TO BE INVITED TO THE ELVES HOMELAND. That's the kind of friendship everyone should aspire to have. I just have a lot of feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew that, but that actually make the story of Legolas and Gimli very sweet :).

      Delete
  4. The very first time I ever watched Lord of the Rings, I was hooked. The entire world that J.R.R. Tolkien created (with the help of Peter Jackson) instantly swept me away. Not only is it visually appealing, the lessons engraved in the story are magnificent. I said in an earlier post that my graduation quote was from The Fellowship of the Ring.
    "All we can decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
    I live my life by this quote heavily.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember thinking when the LOTR and Harry Potter movies first came out that there was some element about them that was similar although it is hard to pinpoint. It could be the journey that protagonist in the story takes. The path that Harry or Frodo makes is not an easy one, and there is a lot of growth in them and in the people among them. Evil gets eviler, and pushes until the side of good has to fight back in a battle that decides the fate of worlds. I Love Harry Potter, so no Harry Potter fan take offense to this please, but I remember when the movies first came out thinking Harry Potter was more suited for children like LOTR on training wheels.

    ….and just to point out I liked Legolas a lot too, but I really like him most with Gimili. I like their dynamics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too have noticed that basically every movie/ book series pits good against evil with good always winning in the end. I think it is like this because it gives people hope. I mean star wars would not be the same if the dark side won in the end. The evil side has to lose. it is just how we like it. That is the good side does not always easily win, sometimes it comes at a high price such as the manic characters death. Sometimes it has to happen

    ReplyDelete