Thursday, December 5, 2013

Harry Potter

Personally, I am not a big fan of Harry Potter. I know 'Gasp' right? I just never could get into any of the books. I think it had something to do with the big hype around how good they were, and I am not much of a reader to begin with too. Every one was saying they were the best book sat the time, but I got to like the third chapter and was just like "This is boring I am going to go play video games."
Now having said all that, I can totally understand why they became such a big success, and why everyone loves the Wizarding World of Harry Potter so much. For one thing, I think the books did so well due to the hype of the books, and not just the positive hype. When the books first came out there was this huge hype about not allowing the books in school because some parents got upset with the whole"wizards" thing, think the book is like satanic and goes against the christian religion. Which as we have learned in class, Christianity has a big problem with magic and witches and wizards dating back to like 400 a.d in Europe (even further probably but 400 is the date on our Kors and Peters Book) Now you may be thinking, "well if the book was possibly being banned then how did it get so popular?" Well that's just it, it became popular because it became so well known for being a controversial book. When you think about it, being infamous gets just as much attention as being famous, Hitler, Stalin, Italian dictator named Montecelli or something, Osama Bin Laden for example. All these names are well known, but not in a positive way at all. The same thing goes for books, Harry Potter was flagged as controversial, and so everyone wanted to see why it was controversial so they read it. Even if you didn't read it you still knew about it and knew like 30 people who had read it and so it became famous/infamous. And by the time all the controversy around the book being not suitable for schools died down, it was already one of the most well known books of the time. If you hadn't read it you would have been a social pariah since every one else would have been talking about it. I know that why I tried to read it, every one else talked about it all the time and because I hadn't I had very little input on conversations revolving around the book. As they say in the entertainment world, "There is no such thing as bad press." What they mean is even if people are saying bad things about a product, its still being talked about and people learn more about it and recognize it more and more. Harry Potter wasn't even the first book to become popular partly due to controversy. "The Catcher in the Rye" became infamous when the guy who shot John Lennon said the book made him do it. Nowadays in school, everyone reads The Catcher in the Rye, South Park even made an episode revolving around that book.
That's just my thoughts on why Harry Potter became so famous, we didn't talk actually talk about this reason in class so discuss your thoughts in the comments or hold them for the next class and maybe we will bring this topic up then.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, and it was Mussolini that I was thinking of for the Italian dictator, i googled it after i wrote this. Montecelli Mussolini close enough right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a huge Potter fan, either. I've read all the books and seen all the movies (minus the last one, because I keep forgetting I haven't seen it), but it never interested me. For almost 6 years I refused to even look at the books, because I was annoyed at all the hype around them, and being involved in Livejournal, I hated the fandom and their fascination with Snape (seriously? Snape?). It's interesting that you think that the books became so popular because of how controversial they were, but it makes sense. People want to rebel, after all.

    ReplyDelete