Friday, December 6, 2013

Harry Potter, my life in a nutshell

Harry Potter was introduced to me by simply hearing it every night my mom would read it to me. I was just getting the concept of reading at that time. Because I couldn't read, the entire time I sat there and listened I created my own world in my head. Once I got to reading, the world only got more and more vivid and an escape. The very same can be said about Lord of the Rings. Out of the two, Lord of the Rings is usually my favorite, but it depends on the day because I really love Harry Potter too.
However, the real emphasis I want to make on this post is what both of these books/movies did for me. Every kid has something they like barbies, cars, guns, sports, you name it. Well my hobbies were drawing, writing, movies and books. The thing that all of those have in common is that they all had to deal with different types of people, places, and creatures. I loved the idea of living in a world far from ours.

The moment I read the books, even more watching the movies, I became obsessed. I was taken away, quite literally. The pure magic, no pun intended, that was created on the pages and screen were beyond my comprehension at the time. Ever since I ever heard the words Harry Potter or Frodo Baggins, I’ve always wanted to make my own story. It’s definitely one of my life time goals that is definitely in the making.  

4 comments:

  1. This is really touching of you to put out here like this. I have to agree with you on the escapism factor. I know for me, The Hobbit gave me a place I could venture off to. In all honesty, when I was about 10 my parents would fight a lot. So, I would put in my headphones and listen to The Hobbit while reading along with the book in my hands. Reading books like The Hobbit, Alice in Wonderland, and Bridge to Tarabithia was my way out of some unpleasant situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you good luck with your endeavor! It is truly a most worth while and admirable goal.
    These stores similarly had an impact on me, for some of the same reasons but for different ones as well. I have also greatly enjoyed story telling and writing for a long time. These tales became inspirations to me, and examples of the kind of creative, intricate, and interesting storytelling that I should aspire to reach. However, especially Lord of the Rings, these stories gave me a new inspiration for other activities..
    I first picked up a sword when I was about 10 years old (fencing class), and while I would not heavily pursue the study of swordplay for many years, it became a regularly recurring feature in my life. This was especially true after Lord of the Rings came out in theaters. These films are so awesome! After this introduction the art of combat became a reoccurring, minor obsession for me. I drew pictures of arms and armor (ones that I had seen as well as ones that I made up for my own stories), I took another fencing class, and I spared with friends using wooden poles or lightsabers (I was and still am really big into Star Wars which also drove my interest in swordplay). I feel that these stories are so awesome that people can not help but be inspired in some way by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My story is kind of similar to yours, except with Tamora Pierce's books, instead! Even down to the fantasy element, my reaction to those books was similar to yours with Harry Potter. I think I wanted to be a writer before I even read those books, but after reading The Protector of the Small quartet in particular, I knew for sure that I wanted to write, and I wrote so many stories and novellas (all perfectly terrible, I should add) influenced by the amazing worlds she created in her stories. I sort of drifted toward realism in my own writing lately, but my roots are in fantasy, and when I need ideas, I always go back to her and relive how those books made me feel and how she immersed me within them, and then I figure out how to incorporate those ideas into my own writing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post so much. Much like you, I loved reading when I was young, and it is something I still hold dear to my heart, so I totally understand what you mean by Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings sweeping you up in the magic of words. I love that you want to make your own story, and I sincerely hope it works out. (:

    ReplyDelete