Monday, September 16, 2013

Sorcery ion Christendom

As one of the people in the group for the discussion of this chapter, I figured I would write a bit about my thoughts on the chapter. This chapter is about sorcery in Christendom (as you can tell by the title). This chapter goes on to take a religious view of magic and how it relates to Christianity. Tonie touched on this topic briefly in her post with the views of the Devil being magic. This was a big question to me when reading the chapter. Why is the Devil's power considered magic, but God's power is considered miracles? This gives magic the notion of being evil, since it is correlated so closely to the Devil. But with magic being considered evil by the church, why do people study it? Well it seems people still studied it since a lot of magic was used for good. Like magical cures or spells to ward off evil spirits. But if magic was the Devils power how come so much magic was for good and not evil. This lead me to think more about how we perceive magic today. In most movies magic has no real connotation as good or evil, as it is used by both good and evil as more of a tool. The good and evil aspect focuses more on the magic user than the magic itself. I guess the is kind of what it was like back then as well, but in the eyes of the church all magic was evil, regardless of the user. Now for those of you reading this i would like you to comment with how you think of magic. Does magic have a good or evil connotation to you personally? I personally think of good when I think about magic. I think of the mighty Hero who uses magic to save the princess against evil.

3 comments:

  1. I personally view magic (if there is such a thing) as neither good or bad. Rather, I think it depends on how someone uses magic that makes it have a good connotation or bad connotation. Like in Harry Potter, the bad guys use magic to cause harm and that to me is bad connotation but then Harry and his pals use magic to defend against the evil so it has a positive connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally view magic (if there is such a thing) as neither good or bad. Rather, I think it depends on how someone uses magic that makes it have a good connotation or bad connotation. Like in Harry Potter, the bad guys use magic to cause harm and that to me is bad connotation but then Harry and his pals use magic to defend against the evil so it has a positive connotation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is interesting that you brought up the point that magic is associate with Devil, while miracles are associated with God. I think we saw a lot of that in our reading over the semester as well like magic in The Hammer of The Witches and the work of god through The Mystics. However, in todays time, I think it hard to define magic as one or the other, but rather a tool to use for one or the other.

    ReplyDelete