Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sir Gawain and the Green Kinght

 
I would like to preface my blog post with this:
 
 
 
Am I the only one who thought of the giant green vegetable man while Armitage was describing the Green Knight? The exact line that caught my eye was, "a knight of such a kind-/entirely emerald green" (149-151). From that moment on, I pictured the Green Knight as the giant green vegetable man. I sincerely hope all of you know who I am talking about when I say "giant green vegetable man". Especially since he doesn't seem as daunting when you picture him as a smiling giant on a can of corn.
 
I don't understand why the people didn't run away as soon as the Green Knight showed up. I would have run away as fast as I could...which wouldn't have been that fast, but still, I'd be gone. I think they were so struck by his appearance that they couldn't bring themselves to move. Line 232 says that the guests "gaped" and "gawked" at the Green Knight. I thought it was interesting that their reactions were not described until a lot of detail was put into the description of the Green Knight. I think this adds to the amazement the guests feel and it helps the reader visualize exactly why the guests are gaping and gawking.
 
I pity Sir Gawain. No one else was willing to step up to protect King Arthur, so Gawain takes the challenge. Of course, he thinks it will be a simple task, but lo and behold! The Green Knight just keeps on living even without his head. And no one even cares that in a year Sir Gawain will probably be dead! On lines 474-475, King Arthur says, "And at least I'm allowed to eat at last,/having witnessed such a wonder". Poor Gawain.
 

1 comment:

  1. This was actually really helpful when reading the article. I was having a lot of trouble picturing a tall green man walking around King Arthur's knights. But now it is much easier..and more comical. I really appreciate this!

    ReplyDelete