Sunday, December 1, 2013

Hauling witches up a tower to Gold Spinner Splits in half....Grimm Tales has Something for Everyone......

When I was reading the Grimm fairy tales I could not help but think, “Wow, these outcomes are extreme”. I do not think that the punishment fits the crime for all these stories. In addition, there are some cases where there is no punishment at all.
             For instance, the story Rapunzel: the witch steals a baby and locks her in a tower. On top of that, the witch makes Rapunzel haul her up and down the tower with her hair. Then she cuts off her hair banishes her, and pushes the prince out the window and blinds him. Once Rapunzel and the prince are reunited the story ends. Well, what about the Witch? Shouldn’t she get her comeuppance? However, on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, there is the story of Cinderella.
            Cinderella’s mother died and her father remarried before the snow melted. The stepmother and stepsisters were cruel to little Cinderella. However, the father showed no compassion towards Cinderella, he did not even let her go to the ball, let her sit home, and pick lentils out of the ash. In the end, the stepsisters were invited to the wedding only to have their eyes pecked out by birds. In some instances, they cut off their toes and heels to fit in the shoes. I think this is extreme. Moreover, the father and stepmother, they were cruel to her too but they were allowed to keep their eyes and toes.
             I always wondered how the endings to these stories were thought up. Rumplestiltskin, I think he technically had every right to take the child, but the hero of the story is the queen who guesses his name. He ends up being stuck in the floor, ripping in half, and dying. On the other hand, in some versions he just falls through the floor and dies. What is up with that? I guess they are called Grimm tales for more than just the names of the authors......



Blog 3 of 5

1 comment:

  1. I really feel for Rumplestiltskin much more than the Queen. In my opinion, he shows her compassion by making her another deal to guess is name in order to keep her child, and she was sneaky, so she found the answer. If I was a mother, I would probably do the same thing, which does make her the hero of the tale, but I don;t think he was treated fairly either.

    I also keep thinking of the Once Upon A Time Episode, which makes me understand even more why he was so desperate for a child. I'm more sympathetic towards him.

    ReplyDelete