Friday, December 6, 2013

Harry Potter is a cool guy

So my mom was the one who first told me about Harry Potter.  I think I was in third grade or so when it happened.  My mom convinced me to let her read me the first chapter.  Just the first chapter and if I did not like it then she would stop reading it to me.  Well when she was done reading it I told her that it was alright but I did not want to keep reading it.  Later that day though I saw the book on a table in our house, picked it up and kept reading it.  It was out of pure curiosity.  But a few chapters later I was hooked on it.  And the same goes with the subsequent books.  I liked all of them, and there was actually not one part of any book that I thought was bad and didn't need to be in there.

I'm not someone who is obsessed with the series but I haven't really forgotten anything from any of the books, the stuff has just stuck with me and I'm not mad about it at all.  One reason I found them so appealing when I was younger was because it just made you were at that gullible age and it made you believe that there was this other side to  the world where there was real magic and wizards and witches.  It was a place to get away.  I mean yeah all of that stuff is not real but for young kids who do not know any better then it was awesome for them.

I liked all of the movies as well. Some of them definitely left out important stuff that was in the books but I got over that eventually.  I never watched the movie until I finished the book that movie was from too.  And every time I see one of the movies or read a part of one of the books it just reminds me of the time where you really believed in it.  It was something to look forward to doing when you got home from school.  Some times I would get in trouble because I was up so let reading the books but they are that good and they can really hook you into them.  There wasn't one bad character in them.  The key to reading them I think is to start off with an open mind because if your first thought when you're reading it is that it is stupid then you will never be able to get that thought out.  If you can give the first book a chance then you will definitely want to read the second and so on.

2 comments:

  1. My introduction to Harry Potter was similar to yours. It began with curiosity. Long ago, in an age almost forgotten, it was my brother who was the first person in my family reading the books. This was approximately when they came out. However I did not come to know the story of Harry Potter for some time. Being Dyslexic, mere curiosity was not a sufficient enough force to overcome the hesitation brought on by the length of the books. In fact it was probably not until the time of the third or fourth book that the knowledge of Harry Potter finally came to me.
    Around the time of the third book, I received the first book on audiocassette. I listened to it and was captivated. Soon I breezed through the other books that were available on tape and was anxiously awaiting the next book, and the upcoming movies, with everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is funny because my mom was the one who introduced the story to me. She read the story to me every night before I went to bed. I can remember the troll part on Halloween gave me nightmares.

    ReplyDelete