Wednesday, November 20, 2013

What The Hell Cinderella?

I thought the Brothers Grimm stories were certainly different to say the least. I thought it was crazy how far stretched out these versions were compared to the initial stories I was used to! For example, take the Hansel and Gretel story. At first glimpse, it seemed as though not much changed but after recalling the version I was used to I began to notice different small details. The version I was just used to Hansel and Gretel only dropped bread, not pebbles as well. I also did not recall from the version I was used to the part where there was a step-mother who was essentially a big jerk and convinced the father, her husband, to ditch the kids in the woods because they were so poor and hungry. The way I remember it, they siblings initially just got lost in the woods or something along those lines. After the beginning, some parts of the story seemed recognizable- even towards the end. HOWEVER, I was very thrown off at the ending involving the duck used to get across the lake. I had absolutely NEVER heard of that ending to Hansel and Gretel. But it does seem to make sense, considering they siblings wanted to use the duck as a symbol of guidance to get across the lake and make it home. That was certainly interesting. As far as the stories come, Hansel and Gretel was not too bad. I will say that the Brothers Grimm version of Cinderella is all types of screwed up! Some changes I noted first off in the story, the father was not dead- in fact he was a jerk for allowing the stepmother and stepsisters to gang up on his daughter and even give her the name Cinderella. Moving on in the story, we saw consistencies in Brothers Grimm version to Disney, where the stepmother and stepsisters were jerks and did not want to let Cinderella go to the ball. However, in Brothers Grimm- the ball lasted for 3 consecutive days.....they really knew how to party I suppose! Cinderella also got her dress from a hazelnut tree so in Brothers Grimm it was interesting not to see a fairy godmother aspect. Can we just examine the part where the princes on the third day of the ball tries to trap Cinderella by putting a sticky substance on the stairs to make her feet stick. What the hell?! So she loses the shoe....obviously. Thus, when the prince arrives at the family's home to try on the shoes of all the ladies, the stupid stepsisters are told by their mother to cut off their heel and big toe to make their feet fit the shoe so they can become queens. UM WHAT?! Then of course, he finds Cinderella and it all works out because her foot fits....but wait it's not over......at their wedding the stepsisters get their eyes pecked out by birds. Seriously?
 


Jessica Morales' Post #1 of 5

2 comments:

  1. I also found it interesting that some of the Grimm stories, like Hansel and Gretel, were essentially the same as the versions that I have heard. While other stories, like Cinderella, were dramatically different and usually much darker. This was definitely a grittier Cinderella then I have heard before..
    On the side note, the step-sisters deserve some points for pain-endurance. They walk up to the wedding, get one eye each ripped out, stay through the wedding, and then go home only to get their other eye ripped out. Holy crud! You would think that they would go to a doctor or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if the Grimm brothers could go shopping they would shop at Hot Topic. They seem like the type of people that would find a lot of interest in that store. You can bet I do! Where else would I get my Lumpy Space Princess gear :)
    Even though the brothers didn't create these tales, the overall effect just gives me the dark rocker vibes. Like I could see a t-shirt with a bloody glass slipper on it.
    The stories are just dark and different. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete