Saturday, November 30, 2013

Merlin (BBC TV Series)

So, I started watching the Merlin TV series the other day (only through season 2) and something about the first episode, after seeing it once already, stuck out to me.

And that was the witch that casts the curse on Uther, though I shouldn't say the witch I should say the witches circumstances. Now when you look at things from the witch's perspective you see a mother who just had seen her son executed before her eyes for practicing witchcraft, the way the show goes anything practicing or possessing magic related is punishable by execution.

Now it may seem as if I am rambling, but I do have a point. What brought the witch to curse Uther was human emotion; anger and the desire for revenge. Those emotions were caused by Uther himself, when he banned all magic which led to the execution of her son.

Which makes me wonder if magic was not outlawed would the witch have still tread the path she did? Would she have still sought revenge or expressed malice against Uther where there would be no reason to do so?

2 comments:

  1. Much like in real life, the legislation of magic seems to be a balancing act between "appeasing the people who are afraid of change and things they don't understand" and "the right thing to do". We're already accepting that this world is one in which magic is real; don't you think it would be more prudent for Uther to be all "Let's research this thing and make sure we have a decent understanding of it, so that in the event someone tries to use it for evil, we're not going into the fight completely blind." ?

    I can't say that there wouldn't be some level of malice, because even that hypothetical situation doesn't suddenly make everyone okay with magic, but it is worth thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to agree with Shane. I watch some of the show as well because eI wrote my paper on this version of Merlin, and what I noticed is a lot of the Magical attacks against Uther happened as a result of his persecution of those with magic. If her son was not punished for magic she very well might not have tried to kill Arthur for revenge. I think Uther persecuting those with magic caused those with magic to fight back with it in some cases for freedom or protection. However, I think just as there are bad people, in a magical world, where will be be bad people with magic who will want to use their powers to bring harm to others.

    ReplyDelete