Sunday, November 24, 2013

Iron Hans! Why has Honor and High Praise not come?

          This should surprise absolutely no one who was even on the same campus as me this week. The story of Iron Hans caught my attention like nothing else has in a long time.
Although, every time I see this picture, it comes pretty close.
However, after retelling this story about… five times, to my family, friends, a team mate while we were running, and to a group of people I have never actually met before, I think I realize why this story did not catch on. To be to the point, it is a long story with a lot of important parts to remember in order for the story to work.
“How dare you criticize this story! I will destroy you with my army of iron-clad men!”
Now, I have read other Grimms Fairy Tales that are guiltier of this than Iron Hans (I’m looking at you, King of Golden Mountain), however when you compare it to a story like Hansel and Gretel this drawback becomes pronounced. What would happen if you forget to mention the first part in Hansel and Gretel were Hansel thwarts his step-mother by using flints, and instead just skipped to the bread crumbs? Or if you forget to mention the duck that takes the children across the river, and instead they just find their way home and they did not have to cross a river? Does it alter the story that much… not really.
You know, for kids who were nearly eaten by a witch living in a house made of cake, these kids are oddly trusting of magical encounters.
          Now, how about Snow White? What If you forget to mention that Snow White let the Queen into the house where the Queen then tried to kill her two times before the poisoned-apple incident? Does it change the story that much? From my experience, the answer is no.
In fact, if you forget the first two times it kind of helps. It makes Snow White seem like less of an idiot.
          Now what about Iron Hans? If you forget to mention that for a few years the princess stole the Prince’s hat and saw his golden hair (which at the time seems like story-filler)? Or that as he fled from the festival the Princess caught a glimpse of the Prince’s golden hair? Without either of these two seemingly small details the Princess would not be able to identify the Prince at the end of the story. You have to remember these tiny details and when they are supposed to come up, otherwise the story does not flow well.
“And then, uh… did I mention the hair thing? Or that he pinched his finger? Darn it! This story is great, please believe me!”
            And the morel? In Hansel and Gretel it has a pretty clear message of “Stranger Danger” and the importance of cooperation in bad situations, and yet at the same time the importance of self-reliance (sometimes help is not coming and you have to save yourself). In Snow White the message is, again, pretty strait forward; jealousy and envy are bad qualities which will make you do bad things and will ultimately make you a bad person. (If taken literally, a bad person who will be forced to dance to death while wearing red-hot iron shoes.) In contrast I find myself having to justify my moral interpretation of Iron Hans every time I tell the story. In the end, I think the only obvious, clear-cut message in this story is that is awesome to know or to be Iron Hans.
“And what is wrong with that?”
Again, I really do enjoy this story, and will continue to sing its praises. There might even be an expanded story that I will work on, or a sequel. Iron Hans II: The Re-Ironing! (working title).  However, after retelling Iron Hans a few times, I can see why it was really popular (enough to attract the Grimm brothers to record it and include it in their works), but also why the tale has not gotten more attention. It is to this end that we must now act. I call upon every man, woman, and child who has heard of the awesomeness that is Iron Hans to spread the word and drum up support! Together we can be the Iron Army of Iron Hans!!!!
“I am an Iron Soldier of Iron Hans…. To Victory!!!”

Post 3 of 5

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Iron Hans as well and I am kind of surprised that it didn't really catch on. Maybe because there was no damsel in distress as the main character, but I have to admit the golden hair should have been cool enough to make it popular. But it is a shame that some of these other fairy tales like Godfather Death and the Two Travelling Companions and the Robber Bridegroom didn't make it to the popularity levels that the others did. To me, these have more of an interesting and likeable story as well as morals that are easier to identify.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really a shame that any of these have not entered the popular consciousness. Yes, many of them are gruesome, but so was Cinderella and Snow White, and people still know these stories. As you said, many of these stories also offer clear and timeless morals and lessons, yet still very few in our time have heard them. We must spread the word!!!

      Delete
  2. Substitute "fetch" for Iron Hans. http://youtu.be/Pubd-spHN-0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iron Hans!!!! haha I enjoyed reading it as well. I definitely see (now that you've pointed it out) how it had too many loose ends, in a sense, to become a popular story. The absence of a moral speaks volumes because it determines whether or not children will be read this story. I for one would love for my children to know of this story, but I can see why it wouldn't be very popular.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like Iron Hans is better suited to a heavy metal rock opera retelling than a sequel, but that's just me.

    Can we start writing that?

    ReplyDelete