Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Who is Merlin?

When you picture Merlin in your mind, what do you see?

Someone like this?


Or this?



Or, for lots of people now, someone more like this?



How do the two early stories of Merlin that we are reading compare to your expectations? Geoffrey of Monouth's Merlin dates from the 1130s and Robert de Boron's from around 1200. They are the foundation of all the many different versions of Merlin we have today, but many of my students notice the differences more than the similarities. How do these versions of Merlin surprise you?

I look forward to hearing what you all have to say about Merlin in your own posts and comments!

1 comment:

  1. I love the Disney picture you posted in this blog. When I was looking for a good picture of Merlin for my blog post I almost caved and put that picture into my blog. I did want to mention that I think a lot of people have been asking themselves for a while now "who is Merlin?" and obviously there is not clear cut answer. It is hard to distinguish if it is true, false, or just exaggerated.

    ReplyDelete