Sunday, October 20, 2013

My view on Margery Kempe of Norfolk

I really enjoyed reading about Margery Kempe of Norfolk. I think it was a great idea to have us read not only her history but also a few excerpts. Reading the four excerpts helped answer a few questions I got from the biography.


         How could she have been raised by such a good businessman but never taught how to read (Nelson 1). I feel like her father must have known this would hurt her future career. Which it obviously did limit her, Nelson even mentions on page 3 that her business failing could have been a result of her inability to read and write. Though I believe her business failed because she was more consumed in having babies than stabilizing and strengthening her business. 
         Another thing that really irritated me was how the confessor reacted to her confession (Nelson 2). As a confessor, you are suppose to help the sinner understand what they did wrong and help guide them back to God. What his guy did was F*** up (excuse my profanity). 
No wonder she went crazy, theres only so much a person can take before they crack. I mean look at Britney Spears, she went insane when the fame became too much. Did this confessor even get punished? I think he should have been punished, but I do wonder if this was all part of Gods plan for Margery. I highly doubt she would have gave herself to God and believed her visions were holy if these events did not happen. 


Hopefully all of you know about this girl, if not you need to look up “crazy girl on youtube, she’s Jenna Marbles but not as hot.



                         (Side note, I love how the author added comments like, " Hence, Jesus Christ dropped in one day for a chat. (Nelson 2)". We were all thinking it and at least his side comments were funny to read.)



         For some reason I cannot help but wonder why no one re-imprisoned her after she started to cry. In the fourth excerpts it said God started to send these visions to her at anytime and any place (Jokinen). I think in a sense having her visions come to her at any time made her look crazy but also strengthened her case that God was talking to her. WHAT SHOULD HAVE WEAKENED HER CASE was the fact that she practically paid her husband off. 

She not only stopped fasting but she also paid her husbands debts (Jokinen). The third excerpt also mentioned how she wanted to give all of herself to God, how is that possible if she followed her compromise with her husband? How could she give herself to God if she had multiple kids, stayed married, and did not fast? She ignored God's request and kept on having sex, but she was still able to give herself to God... 



Th-th-th-that's all folks!







blog post # 2

No comments:

Post a Comment