Friday, October 11, 2013

Magic and Me


The very first assignment we had in class was the influence map of what we think about when we think about magic. I just briefly wanted to go over three of my main picture on my influence map.

The first thought I have when considering magic is witches, and all kinds of witches. Of course many people first identify Harry Potter when considering witches, and that is because Harry Potter impacted so many people. The purpose of the books is for young readers to grow up with Harry Potter, and they did each year introducing them to a new and darker world of magic.



Another major idea that shaped my perception of magic is The Wizard of Oz. This is really one of my first exposures to witches. They made you acknowledge good versus bad and light versus dark. The story supports the idea the bad should be destroyed an good should be celebrated, giving a foundation of right and wrong.


Lastly, my favorite magical character growing up, was Merlin from The Sword in the Stone. He didn’t make magic good and evil to me, but it was just there. He could do all sort of magic that I remember being incredible like him packing his bag in his home and all the books sink to fit in. His magic was fun, and light, and playful, which is not a typical view into magic.


1 comment:

  1. I loved The Sword in the Stone growing up! I'm surprised it didn't make it to more people's influence maps.

    The image I used from it in my map was his battle with Madame Mim. http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/thecathoderaychoob/Blog%20Pics/sword3-1.jpg

    I didn't really think much about it as a kid but it's really interesting to see some of the tropes of witchcraft we've covered so far be reflected here, from the villainization of women to simple things, like witches being able to change form.

    I'm glad someone else enjoyed that movie as much as I did!

    ReplyDelete