Friday, October 11, 2013

Hildegard von Bingen saintly woman, or evil in a dress?

I was unable to attend class when we discussed mystics, so I decided for this blog post I would talk about my thoughts on Hildegard von Bingen. My first thought was: how was this woman not tried as a witch?!?!?! The reason being is that she has all the requirements of being a witch. 
          1. She is a woman,
This right away should cause suspicion as we have learned from our good friends Kramer and Sprenger.       
          2. She has “Visions”
I know she did not reveal her visions to many people but those who knew, did they never question this woman? I am surprised that no one thought that maybe she was being possessed by a demon. Or that she herself is receiving prophecies as a result witchcraft?
          3. She was educated
She was ambitious and educated enough to read and write. Von Bingen knew how to read Latin and was a part of the church. We have learned in class that this is the gateway to necromancy!
          4. “She used the curative powers of natural objects for healing…”
This is something that I thought was a major selling point to convincing people that she was a witch. I do not understand how people overlooked this aspect of her life. If anything, I would think it would condemn her to the stake, she is mixing herbs to create a type of medicine. Or maybe just maybe she was mixing herbs to make…..a potion!! MAGIC!!!

The only thing that I can think of that would make her more witch-like would be if she were a mid wife as well. Luckily, she studied medicine and herbs instead. Now I do it is great that this woman was able to gain the respect and fame that she did. I do find her story inspiring especially for a woman during this period. However, I do not think that I am alone in feeling a little confused as to why this woman specifically was not met with scorn or suspicion. To be honest when I first read about her I kind of wanted to drop a house on her. I’m not  going to lie…..

3 comments:

  1. I had a lot of the same thoughts, and I was in class that day! Basically we came to the conclusion that the only reason why it's okay to do "witchcraft" in their case is because it's in devotion to God and the Pope approved of it. That is the only difference we came up with, to my knowledge. Personally I don't think that's good enough. I mean, they're still doing the same thing common witches were accused of... weren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! And what was up with the whole sex thing? I did not understand that part like did God wanted you to tell this to everyone or was it the devil or was it just you because you were educated?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think in that time period perception of a person was just as important in determining if they were a witch as what they did was. In that sense a poor peasant woman would more likely be considered a witch if she practiced herbal remedies than an educated girl from an affluent family.

    ReplyDelete