Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A little bit of everything


When I read the Kors and Peters’ text I honestly think it would be extremely horrifying if we were to live during the medieval period. Wouldn't you guys agree? It would be really cool for a second or two there but I mean can you imagine? The food and clothes would be completely different and no technology! Do you guys recall talking about what super powers we could have in the start of the semester? If you time traveled back to this era and just popped out of nowhere, the people would call you witch! And you would probably be in grave danger from that point on. I guess what I’m trying to say is living in this place/time is a great privilege I think.



I just wanted to talk a little bit more about my sections for the presentations. Do you guys remember Pope John XXII and Nicolau Eymeric (Document 21 & 22)? This was in the 1300’s but these two powerful leaders were so harsh and cruel. The tongue piercing that was executed as punishment for heretics to people was I think just inhumane and Pope John was so worried about heretics. He says that “…many who are Christians in name only…sacrifice to demons…ally themselves with death and make a pact with hell” (120). It was such a serious issue back then and I don’t think I can fully comprehend that still. What do you guys think they should have done instead for punishment? Lock them up and isolate them like the prison (Nurmengard) in Harry Potter?


I know you guys have heard of the phrase, “beauty is in the eye of the beholder”? Well, I honestly think that if you were to just take the “beauty” piece out and substitute in the word “magic” I think it is a legitimate fact. One of the first things I thought of was the Nickelodeon cartoon show The Fairly Oddparents. Do you guys know what I’m referring to? I know some of you do! It was one of my favorite shows to watch when I was younger. I was trying to prove that not everyone thought of this show first when you hear “magic”. See? 


3 comments:

  1. I would agree that living during the medieval period would be scary. Having someone tell you that believing in witchcraft is heresy (Kors and Peters, 176). Yet it is a crime to not inform someone that there is someone practicing witchcraft or sorcery. Either way you can be penalized. If you are merely going off an assumption and have no actual facts to back up your claim, you can be tried and even punished (Kieckhefer, 184-190). Also the fact that women in general were targeted back then makes me happy I did not live during that time period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of the punishments that we've read about have been scary and extremely harsh. It inflicts so much pain on the person, and I guess that's meant to deter people from practicing witchcraft in the first place. But still, a lot of the people that were tortured ended up dead anyway, so how would people truly know the pain of torture unless they go through it themselves? I can also understand that if people understood what Christians are using for punishments to sort of make people afraid to be anything other than Christian, wouldn't that cause people to think that it's overrated and try to find something another religion or belief? If I lived in that time period, I would constantly be scared to death of getting randomly accused and then being executed, because that seems to have happened quite a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no interest in living in medieval times. It sounds horrible. With all the talk of witch trials, it would be terrifying. The torture and questioning of witches alone is enough to scare me from having any desire to live in that time, but knowing how they tortured, lied, and killed people is intense. It seems like no one was safe from being accused, and if you were the hardest thing would to prove innocence.

    ReplyDelete